Click the Save Template button and now To The Break Of Dawn: EPMD - You Gots To Chill

Sunday, July 11, 2010

EPMD - You Gots To Chill

I read a recently published interview with Erick & Parrish in the latest Waxpoetics magazine and from the not over revealing Q & A session I was reminded of two things. One, I only ever bought two 12"s by EPMD, 'Crossover', (for the B-side) and this one right here. Two, this is a arguably one of the best records made during the so called 'golden era' of hip hop music. Erick Sermon was no bomb squad type. He found a good break and just looped it, nothing fancy and that's probably why their first and second albums were so good because he kept it simple. I personally still appreciate them as much as when I first purchased them in Warp records on Division Street in Sheffield (now a costa coffee shop, yay..). I'm pretty sure this is an easy acquisition so my advice would be to get it got if you don't have it. It'll be fine, it says 1988 on the label.

  1. Club Version
  2. Radio Version
  3. Dub Version
  4. Acapella
  5. Dubapella
Download

3 comments:

MJG196 said...

Absolutely one of the Hip Hop greatest singles. Ever. Their first two LPs are timeless. You can put 'em on now, and they haven't aged a bit (except for the "DJ" tracks!). You can't even say that about Dr. Dre.

That reminds me of the time I saw 'em in concert, which was less than amazing: http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com/2009/08/my-brother-and-i-went-to-this-my-first.html

moyinka said...

i never had the privelege of the live show but i did see them performing live on TV once and it was pretty mediocre, didn't sound much like the records they put out. even the interviewer in the mag says' [dj] scratch told me you guys were wack live at first and he came and showed you how to do it'. so they didn't get much better then? nice blog by the way, had a brief look around.

superbacnetreatment said...

love love and love this singles a lots...excellence one...