Click the Save Template button and now To The Break Of Dawn: D.ST. - The Home Of Hip Hop

Sunday, November 13, 2011

D.ST. - The Home Of Hip Hop

I hated this record when I first heard it. I didn't like hearing rock style guitars on hardcore hip hop records, felt it softened it's edge slightly. I've matured since then and opened my mind a little and it's now one of my all time faves. D.ST. has always been a solid musician by rights and I wouldn't be the first to realise that he was way ahead of his time as far as skills on the turntable are concerned. I'm sure everyone would agree with that. I think when I was a lot younger the only thing I wanted to hear was the biggest beat around and loads of cuttin' & scratchin' and that's it. This record offers so much more than just that and I'm glad I wised up and gave it a second chance. (The second listening wasn't recently, it was a good 20 years ago). Some of the lyrics are great too, 'We say yes y'all before we talk' and 'real hip hop ma man' of course but the line that made me think a bit when I ripped the vinyl last week was this one; 'Just think, 1975, one whole decade has gone by..' 1985 and he's already talking about the old school talent. A fad it was not and like punk rock the new jacks have destroyed something that was once life consuming, for me at least and I don't know about you but I still can't get enough now and even though my life isn't quite as consumed with hip hop as once was these are the kind of records that I'll keep for ever.

No comments: